Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summertime and the Living Is Easy

It is officially summertime here in Sconnie. 80 degrees, 80% humidity and random thunderstorms. Check, check and check.

Yesterday Bunny and I decided to lounge by the pool in the afternoon. She and her dinos went for a dip while I relaxed in the shade of an apple tree. It was beautiful. I lounged on the deck in my chair, drank fresh squeezed lemondade, caught up on my reading and occasionally dipped a toe in the pool.

Or at least that's how it went in my head. In reality I dragged her little blue plastic pool out into the back yard and filled it with water from the hose. I then grabbed a blanket,threw it on the grass and plunked down. There was no fresh squeezed lemonade, only tap water. Bunny did have fun with her dinos but there was the occasional freak out of "Mommy I don't like flies". While I repeatedly coated myself and her with mosquito repellant. Only it didn't repel the mosquitos, they actually seemed to like it. I finally resorted to squirting the mosquitos with the bug spray if only to annoy them in a futile attempt to keep them away from us.

Last night I lay in bed counting my bites. I had 10 on my right leg and about 4 on my left. And I realized the solution to our problem, move. But since a move doesn't seem to be on the horizon, we'll put the pool on the driveway next time surrounded by 1 million citronella candles.

2 comments:

JCK said...

Oh, this is too wierd. I just happened upon your blog through Manager Mom and your blog title for today is almost identical to mine! Plus I put a youtube clip in of Ella Fitzgerald singing "Summertime!"

Sorry about the mosquito bites!

The Cheap Chick said...

Blech. I hate bugs! Esp. ones that drink my bodily fluids. I share your pain - I'm over here in mosquito-laden MN.