Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Almost There

The days blurred together. We were racing the sun. It was dark but it was never night. Today became tomorrow. Almost time but not quite.

You spend your whole life trying to find north on your compass. Looking for your true north, the path which you are supposed to travel. And here I was finally setting out on that path on a plane traveling from today to tomorrow to my future. Staring out into the vast nothingness of the North Pole waiting to turn south, waiting to head to my true home. The home I would find once I held my daughter in my arms.

The plane landed. Planes always do. In a city full of buildings and lights and people, so many people. It was in Hong Kong but it could have been New York, or London or Rome. I was not home yet, I might as well have been half a world away.

Night became day again. Another plane ride, one step closer to home. The plane landed. Planes always do. A smaller city full of buildings and people, so many people. And in one day it would hold yet another person. The most important person of all. In one day the city would hold my daughter. In one day, I would hold my daughter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me cry thinking of two years ago - how fast time has passed. I can't remember life before Payton and now I look forward to a new life with Camden-
I love you for your words that remind me of such an amazing experience in my life.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I think all mothers have very strong memories of those days of anticipation. Whether it's waiting for the first signs of contractions or traveling across the world...we all have the same dream to actualize. It really does make me nostaglic.

Kim said...

I sooo remember following you on your amazing journey...
Doesn't seem like 2 years ago..
Have a Great Day tomorrow..