Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Love Letter

Dear Lion,

Do you mind if I call you Lion. I have read your story thus far and the name seems to fit you. You are brave. You are strong. You are a survivor.

When I saw your picture, I fell in love. I knew, in that instant, that we were destined to be together. I have spent the moments since, studying the lines of your face, staring in to your beautiful eyes. I have your face memorized. I can close my eyes and see you before me, laughing, smiling, calling my name. You are mine and I am yours.

But I see that I have gotten a little ahead of myself. You do not know me. We have not been properly introduced.

I am your mother.

And you are my son.

My son. My son. My son.

I repeat those words over and over like a mantra as if by speaking those words you can hear me calling you. Those words connect us through time and space. We are one you and I despite the miles between us. 7,500 miles, oceans, mountains, continents, languages separate us.

They separate us now but we will be together soon. You will know me, know my face as surely as I know yours. We will be a family forever.

I used to call you Turtle, but I was wrong. You were not slow, I was. I delayed and stalled, dragging my feet. I didn't know why. But now I do. I was waiting for you, my son.

And now I must wait a little while longer to hold you in my arms. This may be the hardest wait of all. But I know that it will be worth it because you and I will be together, forever.

My lion. My son.

Love,
Your Mother

19 comments:

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

aww you're getting a son. how exciting! congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Renee! What a wonderful gift. Lion! I love it, love love love it.

Do you have a time frame? How old is he? We need details! (or maybe in an email if you can't share online?)

karey m. said...

ugh. killed me this afternoon. beautifully written...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

I'm so happy for you!

~Laura said...

Congratulations! What a lucky little boy to be so blessed and eagerly anticipated. I'm sure he'll blend right into your family.

Issa said...

Crying for you. I am so thrilled for you guys. YAY Lion. Fitting. Very fitting. Can't wait to see him.

Six months?

g'ma marsha said...

And my grandson. I, also, cannot wait to hold him and give him grandma's hugs and kisses. Sending love.

Woo222 said...

How wonderful and exciting!! Congrats! :) Your writing about memorizing his face is so beautiful and moving. I hope the adoption process continues smoothly and in a timely fashion so you can finally hold your son in your arms. ~Susan

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I can't believe you have to wait so long. Lion is a beautiful image (maybe he'll be a Leo?)

Heather said...

Geez, way to make a girl cry.

Renee, I am so beyond thrilled for you! I can't wait to meet your little Lion.

much love xoxo

anymommy said...

TEARS!! Happy tears, congratulations. That is incredible.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Renee! I'm so happy for you. Can't wait to see pictures of your new son...

Kari said...

Crying happy tears!!! This was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Michelle said...

This was one of your most touching posts...Congrats again!!!

Jill said...

Mazel Tov - so exciting!!

EatPlayLove said...

I'm thrilled for you and baby lion! Can't wait to get to know him.

Anonymous said...

Renee, I just shaved dang it. and now I have chills all over and tears in my eyes. Congratulations. Can't wait to "meet" Lion.

LCarter said...

Oh Renee, this is so sweet! So happy for you and can't wait to hear more news. I can't even imagine how hard the wait must be! ~Lauri

Ann Imig said...

I feel so lucky that this blog interview thing led me to your blog and your family's journey.

It must be so very hard to wait.

Ann