Sunday, May 11, 2008

On Mother's Day, A Love Poem to My Daughter



Mommy, Momma, Mom. Those words fill my heart with joy because I am your mother.

I was your mother during those long and often lonely days when we were trying to conceive. During every negative pregnancy test, I was your mother.

I was your mother when we began the adoption process. During the long waiting period, I was your mother.

I was your mother when you were born a half a world away. During the first nine months of your life, even though I was not there, I was your mother.

I was your mother when I finally saw your face staring back at me in your referral picture. During the long flight to meet you, I was your mother.

I was your mother when they placed you in my arms for the first time. During those weeks in strange hotel rooms when we went from strangers to family, I was your mother.

I was your mother when we brought you home for the first time. During all those months since, I have been your mother.

When you smile, my heart smiles. When you cry, my heart cries. When you laugh, my heart laughs. When you love, my heart loves.

I am your mother. I have always been your mother. I will always be your mother.

2 comments:

MamaCarter said...

I'm a little choked up here. What a wonderful love letter to Bunny. I remember being in that prenatal yoga class with you, and your comment that you had been "pregnant" for 11 months....just waiting for Bunny to arrive, funny and brilliant and already your child.

Christy said...

Oh what a lovely letter to your daughter. Very touching.