Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Letting Go

I am a bit of a pack rat. I hang on to things longer than I should. Its a problem that I am trying to work on. With the explosion of toddler stuff in the house, I'm trying to let go of the stuff I don't need anymore. I think it will help with my feelings about the CrapShack. If I can get rid of some of the clutter it will look better.

The problem areas in the house are limited to two rooms really. Our room, more specifically our closet, and the office. Since those are two rooms I spend a fair amount of time in (sleeping and banging away on the computer) I should do something about it.

So a few weeks ago, I went through my closet. I took out all of the stuff that doesn't fit, which unfortunately was a lot. I also gave up all of my work clothes. I haven't worked in six months and I am not going to for the rest of the year. Its highly unlikely I'll go back to work before Bunny goes to school. I don't need the work clothes anymore. So out they went.

I even got rid of some shoes. Well more like 30 pairs (and I even kept 25 pairs). Just call me Imelda. I love shoes. You see when I was in high school I was 5'10" and had size 10 feet. Its not a big deal now but it was back then. They didn't make cute shoes in a size 10. For homecoming freshman year I had to buy these ugly grannyish shoes. And I hated that. So when they started making cute shoes in my size, I started buying them.

I know I could get rid of more. But I'm taking baby steps. I hope to become more minimal, more streamlined, eventually.

The next project is to tackle the office. I have way too much paper. I hang on to stuff in case I'll need it. And I never need it. So inspired by managermom's call to show where we work, I'm going to clean out this dump. On July 13th I'll show where it started and where it ended up. Now momma's gonna go buy a shredder.

1 comment:

Amy in Ohio said...

If I hit the lottery, that's my first thing - abandon all my clutter. Get a convertible and ride off into the sunset leaving all that crap behind.

Til then, I'm just moving it from one chair to another.