Thursday, May 22, 2008

Let's Spell It Out


S-p-e-l-l-i-n-g, the method of communication of all parents around the world whose children cannot spell. It enables us to talk about things that would get Bunny totally hyper, running for the door with shoes and coat in hand, screaming let's go now. So spelling is a good thing.

We spell out words like z-o-o, i-c-e c-r-e-a-m, p-a-r-k etc. That way we can decide if we want to do a certain activity or give Bunny something without her knowing. Saves a lot of tears if we do in fact decide we are not going to do it.

But lately Bubs and I have found ourselves spelling w-o-r-d-s t-h-a-t w-e d-o-n't n-e-e-d t-o s-p-e-l-l. And it can get quite annyoying as you can see. These words are either words that Bunny does not know, are not trigger words or are said when she is not even in the room. That last one is a killer, why are we spelling to eachother in a conversation that Bunny is not even a part of? I blame it on parental brain mush and lack of sleep.

There is another problem with spelling out words. I am not the world's greatest speller, I never was and the advent of spell check has made it worse. So when I spell a word I am not sure I am actually spelling it right, which is kind of embarassing. Also some when you spell some words out it doesn't sound like it should, which can add to the confusion.

But soon enough Bunny will be spelling like a champ (like sometime before she is 3) and we will no longer have this problem. In fact I can ask her if I am spelling something right.

No comments: