Thursday, June 25, 2009

Everything I Touch

breaks down.

Longtime readers of this blog are familiar with my ongoing struggles with my house. Basement issues - check. Bathroom not working - check. Garage falling down - check. And just when we thought we were turning a corner and getting the basement finished. It all goes to crap.

Last Friday we had torrential, horrible, crazy, oh my goodness the world is ending, 100 year flood type rains. We got somewhere between 3 and 4 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Not good. Ironically we had those same types of rains last year (so I guess its not 100 year, more like 1 year) when our basement leaked.

And what do you know? Our basement leaked again. Not on the fixed side that we were about to finish by laying the floor. No it leaked on the other side and then trickled over and pooled on the fixed side. So that's a big problem. Huge problem really, we need to do something about the leak before we can lay the floor. We'll try regrading first and then who knows. We were out of the basement for over a year and we were so close to going back there I could taste it. And now we'll be out for a while longer.

And after the Ark floating rains, we had a good old fashioned August style heat wave of 90+ temps. Of course the CrapShack does not have central air. Don't be silly, why would it have central air. So we lugged out all of the fans and tried in vain to cool it down. We also got out our window air conditioner and put it in our window. Or should I say tried to put it in our window.

You see as we were adjusting it, it fell out of the window. From the second story. Bubs and I just turned to eachother and started laughing. Of course, with our luck, the air conditioner would fall out the window. It was bound to happen.

We did, however, have a bit of luck. We have these big ugly evergreen bushes out in front of our house. I hate them and have wanted to get rid of them for years, but we haven't. Well those big, ugly bushes managed to serve as a cushion of sorts. The air conditioner hit the bushes and didn't make it to the ground and didn't break. Thank goodness for that. Bubs went downstairs, managed to remove the unit from the bushes and bring it (and a few branches) back up stairs. We finally got it in the window, plugged it in and held our breath. It worked! We would be cool(ish) after all.

So to make a long story short(ish), our house keeps falling down around us. We cannot finish our remodeling project at this time due to the leaks. We still only have one functioning bathroom. We are hoping the garage falls down due to some act of nature. Oh yeah, the lawn mower and the vacuum cleaner also decided to stop working. And I'm about one leaky faucet away from a breakdown. Fun times.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, have I got stories of leaky basements for you -- but you'll have to wait and read them on my blog...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and look into investing in a subpump. It'll solve the leaky basement problem if installed correctly.

Christy said...

OHMYGOD! Well, at least you (and bunny? and your husband? or just you?) have one or two nights in Chicago to look forward to next month, right?!

Hope your house luck turns, and soon!

michelle said...

Sounds like when it rains, it pours...pardon the pun! Hopefully the little black cloud over the crapshack lifts soon.....

Anonymous said...

gah, that seriously stinks. I would be PO'd, too. Sorry, babe! I swear, it'll be done eventually.

Momma Bear said...

oh man. I'm sorry. I have an assortment of these stories too. But I won't share them cause well yours are depressing enough for me. :) The ac story...hilarious. I'm glad it's okay and it's working.
take care.

Heidi said...

I've been away from here for too long. I'm sorry about all of the house issues. Renos and especially renos that never end are the worst.

I hope things get better for you!