Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Africa on My Mind


Africa has been on my mind lately. The famine in Somalia and the food crisis in parts of Kenya and Ethiopia are heartbreaking. This crisis in on top of the challenges such as poverty, HIV, malaria and TB that the continent is already facing.

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know a part of my soul is in Africa. When I hear of the problems, I cannot help but think of Lion's birth family, of my family. The phrase but for the grace of God takes on a whole new meaning.

I cannot sit silently by. I must speak out about these problems. I must raise awareness.

So today, I encourage you to learn all you can about the famine in Somalia and how to help. I also encourage you to follow the journey of several bloggers who are currently in Kenya learning first hand what life is like for families in the developing world.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
— Margaret Mead

1 comment:

Beth said...

And on mine too. What can I do? I question. At times I think, "that's it, we are selling everything and moving to Ethiopia." And then I realize now, right now, with an elderly mother near by, is not the time. I can give in my own limited way. God knows, I could actually pray. And I can give here, right where I am to those around me. This is how I get by and try to soothe the ache. Peace and goodness to you all.